quarta-feira, 30 de junho de 2010

slight detour...

I was talking to my friend Ola in NC, who was preparing to fly out to Cairo, Egypt the next day for her brother’s wedding. She was asking me one last time if it was at all possible for me to visit for a couple days. After telling her there was no way I could take time off, I booked a ticket. You live life once; might as well make the best out of the opportunities presented to you. Dr. Rodrigues encouraged me to go, considering I’m doing my research on my own time, and don’t need to be physically present at the medical school or hospital to do it all.

Surprising Ola by jumping out of her closet was just the start of an incredible visit. The wedding was beautiful in every way possible, with at least five Carolina kids present. Ola’s family was incredibly welcoming and kind, having filled my few days there with as much fun as sanely possible. We went galloping on horseback in the hot arid desert, with the pyramids in sight. We ate dinner on the Nile, witnessed the bluest waters I have ever seen, with white sandy beaches and palm trees everywhere. Our last stop was the Khan El-Khalili Market, filled with endless souvenirs, and Al-Azhar mosque, where we prayed prior to heading back to the airport.

Thinking back to just those few days will always bring back sweet memories. I am incredibly grateful and blessed for such a wonderful last-minute trip that turned out better than could possibly be planned. Alhamdulilah.

p.s. I can't seem to be able to upload any photos because I have exceeded a storage quota of some sort...sorry! I'll look into it soon enough.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário