terça-feira, 15 de junho de 2010

the halfway point..


So much has happened since last week, that it’s hard to believe I’ve been here for only a little over two weeks.



The weekend before last, my friend Miliea visited me from Nottingham,

England where she is doing her residency. In the two and half days we spent together, we did a lot of sight-seeing, covering many must-sees in Lisbon. We spent one of the days in Sintra, home of the Moorish Castle that dates back to the 9th century and the gorgeous Pena National Palace from the 19th century.













We couldn’t take pictures inside some of the rooms, but one in particular that blew me away was King Fernando’s bedroom, which was much smaller in size than anticipated, but incredibly lavish and exquisite in design.



On multiple occasions, we were asked where we were from, considering we were the only

"hijabis" we saw our entire stay together. I've only seen three, maybe four total, since my arrival in Lisbon. The answer was never simple...for me: United States, family is Syrian. Miliea: from England, although born and raised in Scotland, family is from Bangladesh. Quite a mouthful, huh?


By Monday morning, we were both at work. I returned to the med school where Dr. Rodrigues continues to impress me with the infinite wisdom he carries. Sure, I may be researching about metabolic syndrome with him, but the lessons I am learning from him are life-long. The importance of striking a balance between your career and personal life, as well as the importance and value of time, are two themes that seem to come up often. On my own time, I’m working on a review article, and in clinic, I’ve been working with a Cardiologist, helping select patients who are eligible for Dr. Rodrigues’ study. It’s been an incredibly valuable experience, comparing and contrasting, at least superficially, the health care and educational system.


Not being able to speak much Portuguese has been a challenge on its own. I’ve quickly come to realize that about 80% of communication is basically body language and tone. On multiple occasions, I’ve had to interact with someone who doesn’t speak English. I’m asked if I speak French; unfortunately I don’t. I ask if they understand Spanish, and most have said yes. So with what little Spanish I know, I’ve managed to get around. It’s a fun challenge, and with every day, I pick up a new phrase or two.


It's also been really fun living in a dorm for international students, where each day, it seems as if someone here has been celebrating some win in the World Cup. :)



1 comentário: